What is first aid?
First aid is medical assistance administered to a person suffering from a serious injury or illness. First aid procedures prevent symptoms from worsening and promote recovery. In life-threatening situations, first aid maintains bodily functions for preserving life until medical emergency services personnel arrive. Essential first aid skills and knowledge are included in a Level 1 First Aid certificate (Provide Basic Emergency Life Support HLTAID002), in only 6 hours of training.
How do I get my Level 1 First Aid certificate?
Level 1 First Aid, now known as Provide Basic Emergency Life Support, is among the most in-demand first aid training courses in Australia. Real Response has grown to meet the demand, and now serves the people of Melbourne and Sydney with highly-acclaimed first aid training programs. Real Response educators and medical professionals are dedicated to bridging the gap between first aid training and genuine emergency response capability.
Although around 26% of Australians have learnt cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and other life saving procedures, only 4% are confident of correctly performing the techniques in a real emergency – a situation untenable to the professionals at Real Response. Our simulation-based first aid training methods are transforming first aid learning, with Real Response graduates in demand with employers and industry experts Australia-wide. Course attainments are deeply learnt and ready for recall whenever required, forming well-rounded DRSABCD capabilities.
- DANGER: Prioritising safety of everyone – yourself, bystanders and the injured person.
- RESPONSE: Assessing the casualty’s situation in response to verbal and physical cues.
- SEND FOR HELP: Remaining calm, calling 000 and communicating with emergency services.
- AIRWAY: Positioning the casualty appropriately for checking and clearing a blocked airway.
- BREATHING: Detecting breathing in the casualty’s mouth, nose or chest movements.
- CPR: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for reviving a person who has stopped breathing.
- DEFIBRILLATOR: Automated External Defibrillator (AED) use for greater recovery outcomes.
First aid involves hands-on emergency procedures, so Real Response incorporates simulation-based training, or ‘learning by doing’ that results in superior knowledge and skills retention for addressing low-frequency, high-risk emergencies. Real Response Level 1 First Aid graduates gain more than a certificate of attainment – they are ready, willing and able to approach emergency situations with confidence the moment training is complete.
Where can I get a level 1 First Aid certificate?
The uptake of Real Response first aid training has been heartening and deeply satisfying. We believe in giving everyone the opportunity to become a qualified first aider, and our courses delivered in the Melbourne and Sydney CBDs and suburbs are incredibly popular. Real Response specialises in tailored first aid training programs at your business or premises, allowing you to develop a superior team of onsite trained first aiders. You can also train at our dedicated headquarters or participate in public courses held at convenient locations around the city and suburbs. Here are some of the impressive Level 1 First Aid certificate attainments delivered by Real Response.
- Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to an adult, child and infant
- Understand the basic principles of an automated external defibrillator (AED)
- Airway management and artificial respiration
- Appropriate emergency response in various settings
- Cardiac emergencies and respiratory emergencies
- Treatment of shock and anaphylaxis
- Management of bleeding
- Applying bandages
How to renew first aid certification?
A Level 1 First Aid certificate (Provide Basic Emergency Life Support HLTAID002) is nationally recognised and valid for 3 years prior to a short refresher course for retaining the qualification. The life-saving procedures and techniques continue to evolve and improve, making this course a great foundation for stepping up to intermediate and advanced first aid training courses.
Emergency situations aren’t an everyday occurrence for most people, but if you want your workplace or premises to be overseen by capable and confident first aid trained staff, contact Real Response today for the best value training programs, and make a real difference in the lives of those around you.