Choose A Section
What is fire extinguisher training?
At Real Response, the fire extinguisher course is delivered using simulation-based training methods that replicate real emergency scenarios and encourage deeper learning and greater knowledge retention. The hands-on nature of simulation training encourages ‘learning by doing’, overseen by some of Australia’s best firefighters, paramedics and emergency responders.
We apply on-site training at your workplace, building or other establishment for developing greater appreciation for workplace safety. It’s also a great opportunity for team bonding among workmates and colleagues. Real Response simulation-based training includes the use of actors, props, real emergency equipment and timed emergency response for development of teamwork and leadership skills.
On-site training reduces travel costs and minimises disruption to your regular workplace activities. It also provides an opportunity for our instructors to provide industry-specific guidance regarding required equipment for your workplace, along with establishment of appropriate procedures for combatting fires. We also offer Fire Warden (PUAWER005) and Chief Warden (PUAWER006) training courses for all-round safety, security and emergency response.
Who are the real first aid trainers?Our qualified instructors are world-class legends. They’re paramedics, firemen, critical care nurses and former military. These are people who know how to think on their feet and will teach you to do the same. Our trainers want you to be involved, ask questions and have a go. Great effort and planning is taken to ensure an inclusive, safe and non-intimidating learning environment. We don’t want you to memorise a stack of information on ‘how to apply first aid’, we want you to experience it for yourself. Meet The Team
What is included in fire extinguisher training?
Only 13% of Australians know that there are various types of fire extinguishers used to put out fires. There are different classes of fire that are paired with appropriate extinguishers for workplace-specific safety, and the Fire Extinguisher Training Course familiarises students with the purpose and function of all commonly used fire extinguishers.
Class A: These extinguishers are used on wood and paper-based products, plastic and rubber.
Class B: These extinguishers put out flammable liquids such as chemical products and cleaning agents.
Class C: Used to put out flammable gases before gas pressure builds.Class D: Used to combat fires caused by combustible metals.
Class E: These extinguishers are valuable in electrical fires and those related to electric circuitry.
Class F: Used to manage fires caused by cooking oils and fats in kitchen and workplace settings.
The Fire Extinguisher Course is tailored to meet your industry and workplace requirements along with satisfaction of legal obligations. We personalise training for your workforce according to staffing levels and the nature of your business. Our highly experienced instructors help your team develop fire emergency awareness at your premises by using our famous simulation training methods.
Real Response is dedicated to developing optimal knowledge and skills development for every course participant, and we make sure no student is left behind. Here are some of the extensive performance criteria we deliver in 3 hours of fire extinguisher training.
Prepare for emergency situations
- Investigate possible workplace emergency situations and the appropriate response
- Tailored emergency response training for your specific workplace or establishment
- Examine emergency resources and serviceability of emergency equipment
Identify and access the emergency
- Identify emergency situation risks and the effectiveness of the initial response
- Provide emergency situation advice according to workplace emergency procedures
- Taking action in situations where the initial response is unsafe or inappropriate
Safely confine emergencies where possible
- Confining emergencies to the immediate area according to workplace procedures
- Using emergency resources according to workplace procedures and current skills
- Adherence to legislative requirements during emergency response
- Performing all actions in a manner that promotes and enhances safe work conditions
Using initial response equipment
- Checking initial response equipment to ensure serviceability prior to use
- Selecting appropriate equipment for use in a variety of emergency situations
- Using initial response equipment safely
- Coordinating safe use of fire extinguishers alongside other emergency actions
Reporting of workplace emergency response
- Documenting and reporting emergency response according to workplace procedures
- Documenting the use of fire extinguishers according to workplace procedures
- Marking and positioning equipment after use, along with reports to relevant authorities
Who will benefit from fire extinguisher training?
Fire safety and burns treatments are first aid essentials that dramatically add to the skillset for both proactive and reactive emergency response. Training packages that feature PUAWER008B include Public Safety Air Dispatch, Field Petroleum Operations, Vehicle Recovery, Community Safety and more. Australia’s major cities continue to reach skyward, and safety is a big issue. Building managers work with security operations, fire wardens, first aid staff and service providers to optimise overall building performance.
When the output and safety of your entire workforce is at stake, it’s reassuring to know assistance is on hand with appropriate fire extinguisher training. Real Response industry experts will show you exactly how to use a fire extinguisher, where to get your fire extinguisher inspected and who checks fire extinguishers in your area.
What attainments does fire extinguisher training provide?
Fire Extinguisher Training (PUAWER008) is a specialised course for people who thrive on responsibility. You will learn how to respond to workplace emergencies by appropriate use of the correct fire extinguisher. The qualifications are valid for 1 year prior to the need for a short refresher course that ensures your skillset is up to date.
Fire Extinguisher training is for leaders who are ready to step forward and assist during emergencies. Real Response also offers Fire Warden and Chief Warden training to broaden your range of emergency response capabilities. Our courses mimic real emergency situations, empowering course participants to respond with knowledge and skill in a timely manner during fire emergencies the moment training is complete.
Every workplace should have resources and guidelines in place for responding to low-frequency, high-risk emergencies. The systems you utilise will be determined according to workplace-specific needs for optimal emergency response outcomes. Emergency resources may include:
- Communication systems
- Warning reports, signals and sirens
- Fire protection equipment
- Personal protective equipment
- Flammable materials spill control measures
- Warning signs and barricades
Staff who are trained in appropriate fire extinguisher use, and personnel trained as fire wardens and chief wardens share a range of workplace responsibilities for overseeing the health and safety of staff and visitors to your premises. Actions performed by qualified staff trained by Real Response may include:
- Activation of the emergency response team
- Activation of fire suppression systems
- Alerting all building inhabitants of the danger
- Evacuating the area and removing all people from danger
- Containing and removing the emergency
- Shut-down and fire containment systems
- Rendering first aid wherever required according to your capabilities
- Appropriate use of fire extinguishers, fire blankets, hose reels and other equipment
How long is fire extinguisher training?
Fire Extinguisher (PUAWER008B) training takes only 3 hours to complete, yet delivers an impressive array of fire extinguisher knowledge and skills. This proves just how easy the course material is to learn when the course is overseen by professional firefighters. The nationally accredited qualifications are in demand with employers and industry experts who prioritise safety, making PUAWER008B a valuable addition to any portfolio or resume.
Real Response training can be held on-site at your premises or in-house at our dedicated Melbourne and Sydney headquarters. We are committed to delivering first aid and emergency response training courses to all Australians and making our major cities and regional centres safer places for everyone to appreciate. In a world where safety and security is emphasised more than ever, it pays to be one step ahead of danger by employing staff who are trained to respond during fire emergencies. The skills and knowledge delivered by Real Response professionals are second to none.
Real Response was founded in 2014 in a partnership between professional emergency responders and education experts. We are focused on bridging the gap between theoretical knowledge and genuine ability to respond appropriately during life-threatening emergencies. With Real Response, you will learn using real emergency response equipment for improved emergency response, fire drills and building evacuations. We will also conduct a site risk assessment and can offer guidance for establishment of dedicated fire equipment storage areas and first aid facilities. Skills you and your team will learn include:
- Communicate in an effective manner
- Giving and following emergency response instructions
- Risk management appropriate to your workplace
- Implementation of workplace emergency response procedures
- Appropriate use of fire extinguishers and other initial response equipment
- Storage and maintenance of fire extinguishers and other equipment
- Managing the initial response during small (but serious) workplace emergencies
Skills and knowledge go hand-in-hand for better emergency response outcomes, and Real Response instructors apply the information using simulation training methods for superior skills and knowledge retention. By the time training is complete, you and your team will have well rounded capabilities for confining workplace fire emergencies and removing people from danger. Knowledge gained in PUAWER008B includes:
- Types of fire emergencies commonly experienced
- Responding to emergencies according to workplace procedures
- Safe and appropriate use of emergency equipment
- Limitations of emergency equipment and local facilities
- Actions to be followed if the situation is unsafe
- Methods of fire extinguishment and the fire extinguishers used
- Situations that must not be responded to because of risk factors
What are the age requirements of fire extinguisher training?
Although there are no Australian Government pre-requisites for undertaking the Fire Extinguisher Course, participants need to be old enough and strong enough to handle weighty fire extinguishers in a competent manner during small workplace emergencies. Fire extinguisher training includes the ability to communicate in an effective manner, along with giving and following instructions according to workplace procedures.
Who are the Real Response trainers?
Our qualified instructors are world-class legends. They are paramedics, firefighters, critical care nurses and former military. These are people who know how to think on their feet and will teach you to do the same. Our trainers want you to be involved, ask questions and have a go. Great effort and planning is taken to ensure an inclusive, safe and non-intimidating learning environment. We don’t want you to memorise a stack of information on how to apply first aid and use fire extinguishers, we want you to experience it for yourself.
How is simulation-based training practised?
With Real Response, simulation-based training is much more than an entertaining add-on. The simulations we employ form the backdrop for realistic emergency response practice that stimulates the mind, engages the body and absorbs students in deeper learning. Simulation training engages students in realistic emergency scenarios requiring a prompt and effective response. In workplace fire emergencies you will need to act fast, so we teach dedicated staff the ways to coordinate the fire response team and guide all persons to respective evacuation points and mustering locations within a few short minutes.
Our course instructors are specially chosen for their high-level capabilities along with personal ability for imparting skills and resonating with students. Fire emergencies are serious, but Real Response instructors make the course enjoyable and enlivening. The fire extinguisher course is absorbing, informative and will transform the way you approach emergency situations. We develop leadership abilities, instil confidence and help every student achieve their maximum level of fire response capability. Innovative simulation-based training delivered by Real Response includes:
- Transformation of your workplace or other premises into a realistic emergency zone
- The addition of actors, props and other symbolic representations for greater immersion
- The use of real emergency equipment including fire extinguishers
- Emergency sirens, lights, pyrotechnics and 000 calls
- Timed emergency response for delivering results that translate into the real world
- Development of communication, teamwork and leadership skills
- An ideal way to encourage team bonding with staff and employers
Total recall of emergency response knowledge and skills is essential for achieving safety and security of persons and premises. Our fire extinguisher trainees get to use real fire extinguishers and fire blankets on real fires so they will know exactly what to do if a genuine emergency arises at a workplace or other establishment.
Real Response is continually expanding training courses to meet the demands of modern Australia. We deliver the most essential emergency response and first aid courses to the full spectrum of industries and employers, including occupation-specific training courses. Real Response clients include The Australian Bureau of Meteorology, Sea Shepherd, The Salvation Army, Lion, Sanitarium, Mercure Hotels and many more. For more information about fire extinguisher training in Melbourne and Sydney, plus advice regarding other industry-leading training courses, contact Real Response today.